7 Natural Ingredients You Can Use to Treat Blemishes
7 Natural Ingredients You Can Use to Treat Blemishes
Blemishes can harm our looks. Most of us have skin blemishes and acne at some points in our teenage time or even in adulthood. Blemishes are described as skin imperfections like skin discoloration, pigmentation marks, acne marks and dark spots.
Blemishes can present anywhere on our body but mostly occur on the face, shoulders, neck and back.
What leads to blemishes?
Blemishes are mainly caused by acne burst. When a pimple vanishes it will leave scars on the infected skin areas. So this cause links to the pore congestion with dead skin cells backed by excessive oils which breed to acne.
Overall, there are two direct reasons for acne development or blemishes in the end. One is the appearance of enough dead skin cells that leads to congestion. The other is the excessive oils with the skin cells.
Other reasons for acne development includes hormonal production imbalances which cause overproduction of oil, improper skin care (overuse cosmetics, unsuitable skin-care products), chemicals (allergy to some kinds of detergents, deodorants, soaps), aging, overexposure to sun, genetic factors (your parents are prone to this problem so maybe you).
How to battle such unsightly blemishes?
There are hundreds of products to treat blemishes but they are normally expensive and chemical origin. To treat blemishes economically and safely, resort to 7 natural ingredients below:
- Apple cider vinegar:
Alpha hydroxy acids found in apple cider vinegar assist in diminishing dark spots and blemishes. Antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties in apple cider vinegar help fight acne breakouts. Moreover, apple cider vinegar is a great method to balance the pH levels of our skin, reduce excessive oils and then help pores open.
- Mix apple cider vinegar with water with the ratio of 1 to 3 respectively. If the feeling might be strong, you can all more water.
- Use a clean cotton ball to dip in the solution then rub it on the blemishes
- Leave it there for 10 – 15 minutes then rinse it off
- Apply this method 2-3 times a day until the blemishes get blurred.
- Lemon juice:
Lemon juice is considered as an excellent solution for skin lightening, dark spot and hyperpigmentation reduction. Lemon juice is rich in citric acid, thus can remove dead skin cells, excessive oil and kill bacteria causing acne. Added that, lemon juice can help tighten pores and soothe the skin.
- Prepare some lemon juice to apply on the affected skin for 15-20 minutes, then wash it off. Keep doing it for a month until you get improvement.
- Or you can mix lemon juice with honey with a 1-1 ratio. Apply it on your skin for 15-20 minutes then wash it off. Keep doing it a few times a week or for one month until the blemishes fade away.
- Another way can be: prepare a mixture of 1-1 ratio lemon juice with tomato juice. If you want to exfoliates the skin more, you can add one teaspoon of oatmeal. Rub this mixture on the affected skin for about 15 minutes then wash it off. Apply this every day or 3-4 times a week for one month or so until you see improvement.
- Aloe vera
Polysaccharides found in aloe vera gel help boost the growth of new skin cells, remove scars and blemishes. Besides, anti-inflammatory properties in aloe vera can help treat acne as well.
- Take the gel from aloe vera leaf and put in on your skin. Leave it until it dries on its own, then wash it off. Keep doing this every day for 1 month or more.
- Or you can make a mixture from 2 teaspoons of aloe vera gel, 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, 1 teaspoon of sugar. Slightly apply this on your skin. Leave it there for 15 minutes then wash it off. Apply this 2-3 times a week until the blemishes get removed.
- Orange peel:
A high amount of vitamin C and antioxidants in orange peel helps refresh and tone your skin. Also, orange peel is considered as a natural bleach to remove acne scars, blemishes then help lighten your skin.
- Make a mixture with 2-1-1 ratio from orange peel powder, plain yogurt, and organic honey
- Rub it on your skin
- Leave it for 15 minutes then wash it off
- Apply this 2-3 times a week until you see fruitful results
- Banana peel:
A lot of anti-inflammatory properties contained in banana and banana peels help eliminate inflammation of pimples and redness. Plus, banana and its peel are rich in antioxidants and potassium which can aid refresh our skin.
- Use the inside peel of a ripe banana to apply on the affected skin for 5-10 minutes
- Keep it there as long as you can. After that, slightly wash it off with water.
- Try to apply this 3 times every day to enjoy best results.
- Tomato juice:
Tomato juice contains lots of vitamin C and antioxidants which greatly support blemish reduction and skin refreshment. Plus, it assists in minimizing the large pores, treating acne and reduce suntan thanks to its lycopene content and astringent properties.
Prepare tomato pulp to slightly massage your skin
Keep it for about 10-15 minutes then wash it off with water
Apply this every day for a few weeks to enjoy encouraging results.
Potato helps greatly with pigmentation reduction. Here are guidelines to use potato:
- Extract juice from potato
- Apply this juice on your skin with a clean cotton swab
- Leave it there for 15-20 minutes the wash it off
- Keeping doing this every day for 1 month until you get fruitful results.
Handful tips to prevent blemishes:
It is always true to say that prevention is better than cure. Blemishes do not cause serious problems though, they affect directly on your look and then your confidence. The following is some useful tips for preventing blemishes before they come to you.
- Cleanse your skin every day with warm water (if possible) to eliminate oils. You can use mild facial soaps, but remember to choose the products that fit your skin situation.
- Use a moisturizer with free of oil and alcohol every day to moisturize your skin especially before making up and after cleansing your skin.
- Do not use rough sponges, washcloths to wash your skin because that may make your skin more irritated, increase oil production.
- Do not use your fingers to squeeze, poke, probe blemishes because that will make your skin irritated and inflamed.
Author’s bio: This article is written by Rose Emma – Senior Editor of Authority Remedies. She works as a health care expert in the field of Nutrition and Health for over 2 years after training in Food and Nutrition Dietetics at Bluffton University. With all the experience she accumulates since college, she provides people with useful information about nutrition as well as helps them with their common health problems.